20180510-Michael Chugani 褚簡寧:Nostalgia

Michael Chugani 褚簡寧:Nostalgia
2018-05-10


  Last week I had a bout of nostalgia. I grew up in Tsim Sha Tsui but seldom go there now. It is too crowded and no longer has the feel it had when I lived there. As a young boy, my friends and I would often go to the YMCA to swim. We sometimes walked through the Peninsula Hotel’s grand (impressive, magnificent) lobby to watch people having afternoon tea. We, of course, could not afford to have tea there. I went to the Tsim Sha Tsui harbor-front last week to look at the new Victoria Dockside project by New World Development. When I lived in Tsim Sha Tsui I could easily walk across Salisbury Road to reach the harbor-front.

  It is impossible to do that now because the morons (idiots) at the Transport Department care more about traffic than people. I had to walk through a maze of subways from the MTR station to reach the harbor-front. The word “maze” means a complicated system of passages. I had a bout of nostalgia when I saw a large picture of the old Tsim Sha Tsui at the K11 Atelier, a mixed-use new building by New World Development. It is part of the Victoria Dockside project. The word “bout” used this way means a short period of activity. For example, you can say you had a bout of flu. The word “nostalgia” means a mixed feeling of pleasure and sadness when thinking about something in the past.

  I went through a short period (bout) of feeling pleasure and sadness (nostalgia) when I saw the picture of old Tsim Sha Tsui. Surprise replaced my bout of nostalgia during a tour of the K11 Atelier building. The word “atelier” means a studio or building used especially by artists or designers. The K11 Atelier has a very unusual architectural design. Its mixed use of offices, a hotel, and serviced apartments integrates (combines, joins) art, culture, and offices in one building. I am nostalgic about the old Tsim Sha Tsui but understand cities need to change. I hope all developers will care about art and culture when they replace the old with the new.

*****

  上星期我發了一回思古之幽情(a bout of nostalgia)。我在尖沙咀長大,但現在已經很少到那裏了,因它總是人太多,亦再沒有我從前住在那兒時的感覺。當我還是小男孩時,不時會和朋友們去香港基督教青年會游泳。我們有時會穿過半島酒店那堂皇的(grand)大堂,看人們享用下午茶。當然,我們那時候是吃不起那裏的下午茶啦。我上星期就到尖沙咀海旁去看新世界發展的Victoria Dockside項目。當我還住在尖沙咀時,我可以橫越梳士巴利道輕易的來到海旁。

  但現在要輕易的到海旁去已是不可能了,因為運輸署的笨蛋(morons)關心交通多於行人。我從港鐵站過去,得經過錯綜複雜(maze)的地下行人隧道才能到達海旁。Maze解作像迷宮般迂迴的通道。當我在K11 Atelier見到一幅舊尖沙咀大照片時,我心頭立即泛起了一陣(bout)懷舊之情(nostalgia)。K11 Atelier就是新世界發展新落成的綜合用途大樓,是Victoria Dockside 的一部份。Bout在這裏解作一回或一段短時期的活動。例如,你可以說你有 a bout of flu(一場流感)。Nostalgia就是懷念往昔時的那份悲喜交集之情。

  當我看到那幀舊尖沙咀的老照片,心頭不禁泛起一股(bout)悲喜交集的懷舊之情(nostalgia);但在參觀K11 Atelier 大樓期間,那股(bout)懷舊之情(nostalgia)倒是被更多的驚喜取代了。Atelier是解工作室、畫室或工場,特別是藝術家或設計師所用的。K11 Atelier有着非常別樹一格的建築設計,集寫字樓、酒店和服務式住宅於一身,在同一大樓內融合了(integrates)藝術、文化與辦工室。我是有點懷念(nostalgia)舊尖沙咀,但也明白城市是需要轉變的。我希望所有發展商在以新代舊時,也能關心到藝術與文化。


中譯:七刻

Michael Chugani 褚簡寧

留言

這個網誌中的熱門文章

20091213-陶傑:BNO、蠢老鼠

20180506-批判地理達人鄧永成,土地供應與公義的矛盾人,鄧永成寄語學生:當香港被規劃時……

20200129-楊天命:致習近平總書記的一封信