20180130-Michael Chugani 褚簡寧:My habit bugs me.

Michael Chugani 褚簡寧:My habit bugs me.
2018/01/30 08:41:34


         I have a bad habit which bugs me a lot. Every time I hear a song which I like but have not heard for a long time I either hum (sing with closed lips) or sing it softly to myself all day long. Sometimes I do this subconsciously. It takes me many days to stop subconsciously singing or humming the song. This is why my habit bugs me. The word “bug” has several meanings but used this way it is an American slang word that means to bother or annoy someone. When I say something bugs me, it means it bothers me. If a girl tells you to stop bugging her by always telling her you like her, it means to stop annoying her. If you do something subconsciously, it means your mind is doing something you are not fully aware of.

         Last week, Towngas invited a group of business, political, and media people to see the well-known musical Cats. I was lucky enough to be invited too. When I received the invitation from Towngas, I quickly accepted because I love musicals and stage shows. I saw Cats many years ago in London and wanted to see it again. My favorite song in Cats is Memory, which has beautiful lyrics. When I arrived home after the show, I subconsciously hummed the song while getting ready to sleep. The next morning I hummed it again while showering and shaving. I even sang it softly while preparing to record my Chinese show at TVB. My co-host teased me when I did that.

         I really like the lyrics but this is the part I like best: “Memory, All alone in the moonlight, I can smile at the old days, I was beautiful then, I remember the time I knew what happiness was, Let the memory live again”. The character in Cats who sings this song is Grizabella, an old cat who did something wrong when she was young and beautiful. The other cats then shunned (avoided) her but Grizabella regretted her mistakes and wanted to rejoin the group. After she sang Memory the other cats accepted her back.

        ***

         我有一個壞習慣,令我相當煩擾(bugs)。每次我聽到一首我很喜歡但已很久沒聽見的歌,我便會一整天哼着(hum)曲子,或自顧自的低聲唱着。有時我會下意識地(subconsciously)唱。我要花上幾天的時間才能停止下意識地(subconsciously)唱或是低聲哼唱那首歌。因此這個習慣很煩擾(bugs)我。Bug這個字有幾個意思,但在這裏是作美式俚語用,意思是打擾或煩擾到某人。當我說 something bugs me,即是說那事真煩人。若某位女生跟你說stop bugging her,因為你總在說你怎樣怎樣喜歡她,那她的意思就是叫你別再打擾她了。若你 do something subconsciously,那就是說你下意識做了某事。

         上星期,中華煤氣邀請了商界、政界和傳媒人士去觀看知名音樂劇《貓》,我亦有幸獲邀。我一收到中華煤氣邀約函,便立即應邀,因為我很愛看音樂劇和舞台表演。我很多年前在倫敦看過《貓》,也想再看一遍。《貓》一劇中我最喜歡的歌曲就是《Memory》,它的歌詞很優美。我看過劇後回到家中,已經差不多要準備就寢了,腦海中卻還是下意識地(subconsciously)哼唱着(hummed)那首歌。翌日早上起牀洗澡和剃鬚時,我還在低聲哼唱着(hummed);我在預備錄製無綫的中文節目之際,也還在輕聲的唱着,連我的拍檔主持也取笑我了。

         我真的很喜歡這首歌的歌詞,但這一段是我最喜歡的:「回憶,當我月光下孤獨一人,我可笑看往昔,當時的我是多美麗。猶記得那時候,我還知道甚麼是快樂。就讓回憶重現吧。」在《貓》中唱這首歌的角色是 Grizabella,是一隻老貓,在她年輕又漂亮的時候做了件錯事。其他的貓便避開(shunned)她,但 Grizabella對自己的過錯感到後悔,很想重返群體之中。她唱過《Memory》後其他的貓亦重新接納她了。


        中譯:七刻

        Michael Chugani 褚簡寧

留言

這個網誌中的熱門文章

20091213-陶傑:BNO、蠢老鼠

20180506-批判地理達人鄧永成,土地供應與公義的矛盾人,鄧永成寄語學生:當香港被規劃時……

20200129-楊天命:致習近平總書記的一封信